TOP 10 NEWS MAKING THE ROUNDS IN NIGERIA TODAY, SUNDAY
Peter Obi Releases 62-Page Campaign Manifesto
The Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has finally released his campaign manifesto, ahead of the 2023 general election.
The 62-page campaign manifesto is titled “Our Pact with Nigerians: Creating a New Nigeria“.
This is coming a few days after the Spokesman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential campaign council, Festus Keyamo, dared Obi to produce his campaign manifesto before Tinubu would agree to a debate.
The campaign manifesto was revealed on Saturday, December 3, 2022, at the LP Secretariat in Abuja.
The manifesto unveiled Obi’s proposed plans to lead Nigeria if elected as president and Page 18 of the document itemized his economic plan founded on a shift from consumption to production by running a production-centred economy that is driven by an agrarian revolution and export-oriented industrialization.
2023: ‘Jonathan Turns Down Request To Resolve Atiku/Wike Feud, Yet To Forgive Atiku’
The former president of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan has reportedly turned down the move to reconcile the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar and the G-5 Governors.
There had been reports that the leadership of PDP are seeking the help of Jonathan to resolve the crisis in the party ahead of the 2023 general election.
The move seems to have collapsed after the former president reportedly refused to be involved in the crisis.
Recall that Atiku, his running mate, Ifeanyi Okowa and some party leaders a few weeks ago had met with Jonathan at his residence in Abuja.
They requested the support of Jonathan in the 2023 presidential election.
A few days after Atiku visited the former president, Wike disclosed how the former vice president in 2015 refused to support Jonathan.
Wike also revealed how Atiku insisted that Jonathan should relinquish his presidential ticket in 2015.
Following Wike’s allegations against Atiku, the camp of the former Vice President has not denied nor confirmed the statement.
APC Releases Statement As Tinubu Shun Another Town Hall Meeting
The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) on Saturday released a statement explaining the whereabouts of its presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, as he shunned another invite for a town hall meeting.
Arise Television had invited the former Governor of Lagos State for another debate despite stating earlier he would not attend any of such during his electioneering campaign.
Amid the development, reports in some quarters alleged that Tinubu, scheduled to speak at Chatham House on Monday, was denied a visa to the United Kingdom (UK).
The APC Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) has, however, faulted the viral reports noting that its candidate is already off to London.
Director, Media and Publicity of the APC Presidential Campaign Council, Bayo Onanuga confirmed this in a statement issued on Saturday.
Onanuga also took a swipe at Arise Television over its constant broadcast of an advertisement about its scheduled town hall meeting which Tinubu had already declined participation.
Two Ex-Heads Of State In Support Of Obi’s Presidential Ambition – Pat Utomi
The convener of The BIG-TENT coalition of political parties, social movements and civil society organisations, Pat Utomi on Friday said two former heads of state have endorsed the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi.
He further stated that LP has enough structure in place to take over Nigeria ahead of the 2023 general elections in the country.
Utomi said this in Abuja on Friday during a town hall meeting organised by The BIG-TENT.
The event is part of activities to seek support for Obi, his running mate, Datti Ahmed and the LP.
He said The BIG-TENT had worked at developing real structures for Obi, adding that opposition to ‘Obidients’ would be shocked by the result.
Utomi who did not reveal their names said, “Money alone doesn’t win elections. Two former heads of state have said to me they are Obidients. A lot of people want to join the (Obidient) movement, without joining the Labour Party to ensure that Obi and Baba-Ahmed win to capture our country back from those who have held us down.
“The LP has better structures than the Peoples Democratic Party and the All Progressives Congress. When people talk about structures, I kind of laugh because they don’t understand the meaning of structure. The structure is a criminal network of people who can fix elections and we have to stop that; that’s not structure.”
Osinbajo Departs Abuja, Equals Obasanjo’s Record On Visit To Vietnam
Nigeria’s Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, departed Abuja on Saturday (today) for a three-day visit to Vietnam.
The VP’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande, noted in a statement released today that Osinbajo would visit the Asian country for a high-level bilateral engagement in the South-East nation.
Osinbajo’s visit to Vietnam will make him the second high-ranking Nigerian government official to visit the country after President Olusegun Obasanjo, Naija News understands.
The visit will again strengthen the long-time diplomatic relationship between Nigeria and Vietnam since 1976.
Osinbajo is expected to meet with the President of Vietnam, Nguyen Xuan Phuc; the Vice President, Madam Vo Thi Anh Xuan; the Prime Minister, Pham Minh Chinh, other government officials and the business community.
“The VP’s reciprocal visit to the South-East Asian nation will further strengthen trade and bilateral relations between both countries,” Akande noted.
During the visit to the SRV, the Vice President is expected to witness the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding and Agreements between Nigeria and Vietnam, as well as hold high-level diplomatic discussions with his Vietnamese counterpart and other important issues on trade, commerce, agriculture, technology and innovation.
Labour Party Crisis: Attack On Okupe Is Attack On Obi – Campaign Council Declare
The Presidential Campaign Council for the Labour Party’s presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has declared that any attack on the council’s Director-General, Doyin Okupe is an attack on its flag bearer.
The spokesperson for the Campaign Council, Dr Yunusa Tanko said the reported sack of Okupe from the party was a direct attack on Obi.
Tanko, who was reacting to the sack of the party’s DG by the Ogun state chapter of the Labour Party said in Kaduna on Saturday that as far as the party and the presidential council is concerned, Okupe remains the Peter Obi Campaign Director-General.
The Ogun State chapter of the party on Thursday sacked Okupe and 10 others for alleged non-financial membership status, high-handedness and financial recklessness.
However, maintaining the party’s stand that Okupe remains the Director-General of the campaign council, Tanko said the people claiming they have sacked Okupe have no power to do such because they didn’t appoint him as Director-General.
According to him, the party is fighting to rescue Nigeria with Obi as its driver, so any attempt to de-market him will not work because God will make him more popular and put all sponsored elements trying to cause a crisis in the party to shame.
Notorious Terrorist, Bello Turji Reveals Beneficiaries Of Terrorism In Nigeria
Notorious terrorist and bandit leader, Bello Turji, has revealed those benefiting from terrorism in Nigeria.
Turji was among 18 terrorists declared wanted by the Defence Headquarters in the middle of November 2022. A price tag of N5 million Naira was placed on each of the criminal’s heads.
However, Turji has questioned President Muhammadu Buhari’s government on why it has not killed him yet despite claims of knowing his hideouts.
Turji reportedly spoke on the phone with an online Hausa television monitored by Saturday Vanguard, alleging that some government officials are benefiting from banditry and terrorism in the country.
The notorious bandit leader said this while lamenting the recent air raid on his abode and the killing of innocent people when he had agreed with government officials and community leaders to abandon banditry.
Turji has led his groups to terrorize the Northern part of Nigeria, particularly Zamfara, Sokoto and Niger States.
In his submission, the terrorist leader said the Nigerian government was not interested in ending banditry. Recall that Turji, early this year, led his gang to carry out a massacre in Zamfara where almost 200 people, including women and children, were killed.
Rivers State To Honour Gov Ortom Today
Rivers State Government is set to honour the Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom with one of the highest honours in the state today.
The state Governor, Nyesom Wike will present the award which is called ‘Grand Service Star of Rivers State (GSSRS)’ to Governor Ortom.
Governor Wike on Friday described the Benue State Governor as a true friend of Rivers people who is trustworthy and dependable.
The award ceremony is scheduled to take place at Government House, Port Harcourt.
‘Ortom An Errand Boy To Gov Wike’ – APC
The Governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom has been accused of abandoning his constitutional responsibilities of providing governance to support the political activities of the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike.
The Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Benue State, Austin Agada in a chat with Punch said Ortom had reduced himself to an errand boy to Governor Wike.
Osun Election Tribunal Admits Governor Adeleke’s Results As Oyetola Closes Case
The Election Petition Tribunal hearing matters emanating from last July 16 Osun state governorship election on Saturday closed the petition by the immediate past Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola, and his party, All Progressives Congress.
The panel admitted original copies of Form CF001 and all its attachments used by Osun State governor, Ademola Adeleke to contest the 2018 governorship elections.
The documents presented to the panel by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) were checked and approved by counsel for the petitioners.
Counsel for INEC informed the panel that an original file of Adeleke’s GCE results, testimonial as contained in Form CF001 he used to contest the 2018 election, had been brought by his client in compliance with the order of the Tribunal.
After going through all of the documents presented, Mr Lateef Fagbemi SAN, who represented the petitioners said they were legible enough and applied to tender them before the panel, which was accepted.
‘It Is You That Failed To Fulfil Your Promises To Nigerians’ – Govs Hit Back At Buhari
Nigerian Governors have hit back at President Muhammadu Buhari-led government for blaming them for not lifting Nigerians out of poverty and providing security.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday accused Governors of the 36 states in the country of stealing from the local government allocations.
The President’s statement came hours after Minister of State for budget and national planning, Clement Agba blamed the Governors for poverty in the country.
Agba further stated that the governors had abandoned 72 per cent of Nigeria’s poor citizens in the rural areas, only to build airports and flyovers.
Governors in their reaction to the allegations said Nigerians are experiencing hardship because Buhari allegedly failed to fulfil his 2019 campaign promises.
The Director of Media and Public Affairs of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF), Abdulrazaque Bello-Barkindo in a statement released on Saturday said the federal government should not blame the governors for its failure to lift Nigerians out of poverty, provide security and make life better for the people.