Canada Universities that Accepts OND, HND and 2.2 Grades for Masters Degrees 


Canada Universities that Accepts OND, HND and 2.2 Grades for Masters Degrees 

If you want to come to Canada for a Masters Degree but have a low grade (like 2:2 or Second Class Lower) in your first Degree, or OND, or HND, then this is for you.

I regularly get questions from many people who heard Canadian schools do not accept 2:2 CGPA or HNDs and want to know their chances.


The first thing to know is that admission into Graduate programs (Masters/PhDs) in Canada is undoubtedly competitive. A 70-75% CGPA is the common minimum grade required. This is about 3.5/5.0 CGPA scale. Also, successful applicants and those offered entrance funding are usually those with grades higher than this minimum, and those going for a research-based program.

Some reasons for these:

Learn More

There are just about 100 Universities in Canada

Not all the universities offer Masters/PhDs

Not all the universities with masters/PhDs have your own course or program

Those offering your program will have a quota of students to admit

And more students apply than the quota available

Canadian schools also typically do not accept HNDs for a Masters/PhD. You will find that the Masters Degree admission requirement is usually a 4 years B.Sc Degree. And in addition to your overall B.Sc grade, some universities will also focus on grade the last 2 years of your B.Sc Degree.

So, let me tell you some things to do to beat the odds and still study in Canada if you have a low B.Sc grade, or OND/HND.

If you are looking for an “easy” route to come to Canada to study with your OND/HND, or a 2:2 CGPA/lower B.Sc Grade, your best bet is to look for a Graduate Certificate (GC) or equivalent. In some schools, this may also be called Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) or Post Baccalaureate Diploma.

Graduate Certificate programs are great options for those with low undergraduate grades, or those who have ND/HND. The programs are eligible for a postgraduate work permit (PGWP) and other benefits that other international students can get. If you are coming to Canada for a Graduate Certificate program or a PGD, you can also come with your family.

If you want to go the harder route and still try your best for a Masters/PhD too, you can! It is not totally impossible.

Some people have done this in the past, but to be completely honest with you, they often have more than just grades. I will give you a summary of some things they did to complement the low grade and position themselves for the opportunity.

READ ALSO: Some Institutions Offering Tuition-free Online Degrees

Some things to do:

Build a research and publications portfolio (and do your best to get a Supervisor for a research-based Masters program)

Get related work experience to show that you have related professional experience

Apply to lower-ranked schools

Write standardized tests and pass (i.e. GMAT/GRE…if it is required for your course of interest)

Prepare other Documents strongly (CV, SOP, Reference letters)

Also, some Canadian schools that i know have been considerate to accept students with low grades for Masters Degrees in the past are:

Delft in Netherlands

Royal Roads University

Bishop’s University

University of Canada West

Saint Mary’s University

University of Regina

Mount Saint Vincent University

Memorial University

Thompson Rivers University

Crandall University

University of Prince Edward Island

Canadian Mennonite University

Brandon University

READ ALSO: Canada includes 400,000 More Job Vacancies for  Immigrants to Apply:  Check Them 

And as earlier mentioned, the students who were admitted mostly came to the admission table with more than low grades alone. So, check some of these schools, check their admission requirements, improve your profile, and see what you can do to improve your chances as well.

Lastly, Graduate Certificate programs are not for those who have ND/HNDS alone, or just because of low BSc grades. They are also programs that are very practical and offer hands-on training. Because of this, even students with 2:1 (Second class upper), and First Class CGPAS can go for them if they don’t want a Masters Degree.

Graduate certificate programs are most common in Canadian Colleges. And some Canadian universities offer them too or offer them as Post Graduate Diplomas. You can search for the Colleges in Ontario here. And you can search for Colleges in other provinces on Google.

The duration of the programs can be one year or two years, depending on the program you are doing, and the school where it is offered.

And as a matter of fact, recent statistics from the Government showed that we have more international students doing College programs in Canada.

READ ALSO: Apply for International Students Loan to Study in US and Canada 

One last and important thing to note!

Importantly, as an international student it is highly recommended that you apply to an approved Designated Learning Institution, and an Institution that would make you eligible for a Post-graduation work permit if you plan to stay back and work in Canada after your study.

IMPORTANT: You can now Click “HERE” to receive More updates directly on your WhatsApp!

To apply for a study permit, you need an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution. A designated learning institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.

To check if a school is a designated learning institution and if their programs are eligible for a Post graduation work permit, check here.

I hope you will find the post useful in some ways, and i wish you all the best in your application!


We do everything possible to supply quality information for readers day in, day out and we are committed to keep doing this. Your kind donation will help our continuous research efforts.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here