TOP 10 NEWS MAKING THE ROUNDS IN NIGERIA TODAY, MONDAY
1. Saraki Missing, Fayemi Removed As Buhari Govt Releases Amended List For National Honours
The federal government of Nigeria has revealed the final list of persons set to be conferred with national honours for various distinguished reasons in the public and private sectors.
The amended final list was made public in a statement on Sunday by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Special Duties and Inter-governmental Affairs, Ibiene P. Roberts.
Against the previously leaked list which contained the names of 437 persons and subsequently denied by the government, the new list contains 447 names.
The awards are to be presented by President Muhammadu Buhari at an event scheduled to hold at the International Conference Centre, Abuja on October 11.
However, the name of former Senate President, Bukola Saraki is conspicuously missing from the list just as it was on the previous list.
Another adjustment in the fresh list is the removal of the name of Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi for the conferment of the commander of the order of the Niger (CON) — an honour he had earlier received from the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan.
The name of a former president of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), Tijani Muhammad-Bande which was not on the previous list has now been included in the new list.
2. I Never Called Tinubu Super Politician – Obasanjo
Former President of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo on Sunday distanced himself from the report-making round that he praised the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu.
According to Obasanjo, from his experience, the only good managers of people are military-trained personnel.
Obasanjo in a statement released through his spokesperson, Kehinde Akinyemi distanced himself from the report.
The elder statesman in the statement noted that he couldn’t have said such at the expense of his noble military profession.
A viral WhatsApp message by a group, “National Patriots”, had claimed that the former president of Nigeria described Tinubu as a super politician.
3. Wike Is Planning To Use This To Silence The Opposition – Cole Blows Hot, Defies Executive Order 21
The All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate , Tonye Cole has rejected Executive Order 21 initiated by the Governor of Rivers state, Nyesom Wike.
Wike had earlier initiated Executive Order 21 which prohibits political parties from holding campaigns and rallies using any public facilities without the payment of N5 million security fee.
Reacting to the policy, Cole insisted that it was obnoxious and unacceptable.
In a statement signed by Barr Sogbeye Eli, spokesman of Tonye Cole Campaign Organization, the APC governorship candidate said the Wike cannot silence political parties before the presidential campaign.
Cole argued that the order was orchestrated to stifle the opposition.
4. Mamu Lied During His Negotiation – Yusuf Speaks On Boko Haram Commander Marrying 21-Year-Old Hostage
The Secretary of the Chief of Defence Staff seven-man negotiating committee, Professor Usman Yusuf, has claimed a report perpetrated by Abuja-Kaduna victims negotiator, and publisher of Desert Herald, Tukur Mamu which alleged that the Boko Haram leader wanted to marry the 21-year-old Azurfa Lois John, one of the just freed Abuja-Kaduna victims is false.
On August 20, 2022, Mamu informed Nigerians via a statement that a top commander of bandits who abducted passengers from the Kaduna-Abuja train is reportedly planning to marry one of the victims, Azurfa.
However, Yusuf while speaking to Voice of America Hausa service, monitored in Kaduna stated that the Boko Haram leader never approached the lady in question.
According to him, even when the committee talked to her, she said it was not true, adding that the Commander had never approached her.
He revealed that the committee worked tirelessly for six months to ensure that Abuja train hostages were released without paying a ransom.
He noted that the committee did not give a dime to the terrorists to release the 23 hostages.
5. Boko Haram Killed 389 Policemen, Injured 450 In Borno State – CP Umar Confirms
No fewer than three hundred and eighty-nine officers of the Nigeria Police Force have been reportedly killed by the Boko Haram insurgency in a decade.
The figures were confirmed by the Police Commissioner (CP) in Borno, Abdu Umar.
Umar who spoke on Saturday at the inauguration of a constructed police station and barracks at Beneshiek, headquarters of Kaga Local Government Area of the state, said at least four-hundred and fifty other personnel suffered a series of injuries from the different attacks.
The state police boss further revealed that the records from 2011 to date showed that the force lost no fewer than 24 police barracks and 30 stations to fire set by the terrorists, adding that several pieces of fighting equipment were carted away and destroyed by the assailants.
6. Identity Of Top Christian, Muslim Leaders Ganging Up To Boycott Tinubu/Shettima’s Ticket
The All Progressives Congress (APC) 2023 presidential ticket by Bola Ahmed Tinubu and former Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima has just met stiff resistance as religious leaders in the northern part of the country show rejection for a single faith ticket.
APC’s choice of Muslim-Muslim ticket has been facing a series of rejections after Tinubu announced Shettima, a Muslim man from the North as his Vice Presidential candidate for the 2023 race.
Despite the calls for a review of the party’s choice, the ruling party maintained the status quo. However, a few months into the 2023 polls, Christian and Muslim leaders in the Northern region have reportedly united against religious and divisive tendencies in the polity.
The latest development was the outcome of a consultative meeting and dialogue between Northern APC Christian Leaders and Northern Muslim Political Leaders held on Saturday, October 8, 2022, at NAF Conference Centre, Kado, Abuja.
Identity Of Nothern Leaders In The ‘Gang Up’ To Boycott Tinubu/Shettima’s Single Faith Ticket
The said gang-up meeting of the northern religious and political leaders was in line with the resolve of Christian leaders within the ruling camp, led by the immediate-past Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Yakubu Dogara and former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir David Lawal.
The political stakeholders are working with their Muslim counterparts in the North to adopt one of the presidential candidates in a bid to defeat the same-faith presidential ticket of the APC.
A statement jointly signed by a former Deputy Governor of Sokoto State and former Minister of Water Resources during the administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo, Hon. Mukhtar Shagari and Hon. Dogara unveiled the names of those in attendance and in agreement with the resolution.
7. 2023: It Is Going To Be Another Kiriji War – 121 Yoruba Groups Picks Presidential Candidate
Some Yoruba groups, 121 in number have converged in Lagos under what they called ‘The 2023 Declaration’ to decide on which presidential candidate to support.
The front runners for the 2023 general elections are Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Peoples Democratic (PDP), Atiku Abubakar.
An influential group from the southwest, Afenifere has pledged their support to the LP flag bearer on the basis that the South-West has produced the president before and currently has someone from the zone occupying the Vice president’s office whereas the South-East has never been president since 1999 when Nigeria began the fourth republic.
However, the 121 Yoruba group under the leadership of the Alliance of Yoruba Democratic Movement, (AYDM) backed Tinubu notwithstanding their reservations about the APC.
The AYDM, described the election as another ‘Kiriji War’, saying it has appointed no fewer than 150, 000 people as campaign volunteers in the South-West region.
The ‘Kiriji war’ was fought between Ibadan and Ekiti following what the Ekitis’ described as oppression by the Ibadan people.
8. He Was Not In Osun – Police Speak On Alleged Attack On Tinubu’s Convoy
The Osun state police command has on Sunday, reacted to claims that the convoy of the All Progressives Congress, (APC) Presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu was attacked in the state at the weekend.
Speaking via a statement by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Yemisi Opalola, the command stated that the video being circulated on social media was an attack on Governor Adegboyega Oyetola during the EndSARS protest in Osun in October 8, 2020.
The command noted that those spreading the video did so with the aim of causing restlessness in the state.
Speaking further, Olokode stated that Tinubu did not visit the state for any program.
He urged members of the state to disregard the fake news and go about their legitimate businesses without entertaining fear of insecurity, as necessary security measures to forestall any likely breakdown of law and order is in place.
9. 2023: Tinubu’s Campaign Flag-Off Postponed
The flag-off of the presidential campaign of the All Progressives Congress (APC) scheduled for Monday in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has been postponed.
This is despite the opposition, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) starting its presidential campaign in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State capital.
The postponement of the APC campaign kick-off is coming days after the presidential candidate of the party, Bola Tinubu returned to the country.
There are indications that the campaign was postponed due to the high-level consultations still being held among stakeholders.
Recall that a tripartite meeting of the APC governors, the APC Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) and the National Working Committee of the party led by Abdullahi Adamu was held at the party’s national secretariat.
The meeting was fixed by the ruling party to deliberate on the postponed zonal tour by the six National Vice Chairmen and also deliberate on modalities for the proposed ‘APC National Conference’ which it intends to convene before the end of the year.
The stakeholders also discussed the composition of the campaign council.
The Director of Media and Publicity of the APC Presidential Campaign Council, Bayo Onanuga, in a chat with Vanguard, noted that the presidential campaign is a marathon.
He further stated that it has begun in Lagos, Katsina, Benue, Kogi and several other states.
Onanuga, however, stated that the flag-off of the presidential campaign will be dependent on when the party formally inaugurates its PCC.
Even though the party has not inaugurated its presidential council, its Women Wing has now been slated for inauguration tomorrow at the Presidential Villa.
Onanuga when asked if the campaign would still be flagged off tomorrow, Onanuga simply said, “No sir”.
10. Alleged Police Attack On Obidients: We Will Be Watching – Group Sends Message To Buhari, State Governors
The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has reacted to the police attack on supporters of Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate, Peter Obi in Ebonyi state.
Supporters of the LP flag bearer were tear-gassed by police officers during a peaceful rally in September.
The assault was allegedly carried out due to a directive from the governor of the state, Dave Umahi.
However, the state government denied issuing the order.
Reacting to the attack via a statement on Sunday, by the group’s deputy director, Kolawole Oluwadare, SERAP urged President Muhammadu Buhari and state governors to, at all times welcome freedom of expression, assembly, and equal participation during campaigns.
The organization advised Buhari to publicly instruct the police to protect the right of every Nigerian who takes part in the political process.
The group vowed to monitor how authorities protect fundamental rights ahead of the 2023 elections.
Oluwadare said respecting the rights of everyone to speak and gather would ensure that citizens can effectively contribute to the country’s democracy.